Sensory Seekers

Sensory Seekers

Thursday 19 November 2015

Sparkly Silky Slimy Goop



This was by far our messiest messy play to date. There was carnage, proceed with caution. That said it was a lovely sensory recipe, and L thoroughly enjoyed herself, I suspect the amount of uncontained mess came from her age and her immense pleasure in seeing how far she could get the goop to travel when she flapped her hands around like a crazed toddler (as they do).

Commence Hand Flapping!
 

The recipe was simple enough, I used 4 ingredients in total but two of them are optional.

1.       Corn flour
2.       Hair conditioner (we used coconut scented to add to the sensory experience)
3.       Red food dye
4.       Gold glitter

You make this how you like it, I used 2 bottles of conditioner (Alberto Balsam) and a generous amount of corn flour. I added the flour one heaped tablespoon full at a time until I reached the consistency I wanted, gloopy and sticky and so that it ran slowly (slime like) when dripped. You really can’t do oobleck type recipes wrong, it’s a case of trial and error to find what you particularly like.

This recipe is lovely, it’s very silky and smelt amazing thanks to the scented conditioner (my hands smelt like holidays all day). Adding glitter and food dye just added to the sensory experience.

 

L was instantly interested in this because of the glitter on the top, she’s very interested in anything sparkly at the minute. She started by just swirling her fingers and mixing the glitter into the Goop. She then started to put her whole hands into it, stretching out her fingers and squeezing it.

 

Next came the small splats, she would grab handfuls and watch the goop drip into the tray, then she flapped her hands accidentally…and wow, this stuff really splats! L found this to be the best bit of the whole experience, in went her hands only for them to be lifted out and for her to run wildly round the room flapping her little hands with as much energy as she could find all the while giggling her head off. She threw herself wholeheartedly into this activity and repeated it over and over splattering myself, her aunty and everything in the room! When I say this was messy, I really do mean it, there was goop everywhere!

My wonderful sister who just popped round for a cuppa!
 

I personally do not mind a bit of mess (in the end everything cleans), but wow this was something else. I would not discourage anyone from using this recipe or trying similar ooblecks but perhaps do so with caution if you’re not the biggest fan of mess, or perhaps play with this recipe in the bath (but beware of slipping). I put most of this mess down to L’s age, she does not yet have the brain maturity to understand that she shouldn’t destroy her house, especially when she’s having that much fun. I would expect older children, say 3+, would probably not act in the same way as L, but do not take my word for it, it’s your house, and most likely you who will have to clean up. It will be easier if you have hard flooring and not carpet like me L

 

 
As always, Have fun with your kids
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment